Facebook Pinterest By Associated Press – September 21, 2019 0 287 Facebook Google+ Google+ Twitter WhatsApp Captured desperado John Dillinger, wearing vest, strikes a jaunty pose with prosecutor Robert Estill in what would become an infamous image at the Crown Point, Ind., jailhouse, Feb. 1934. (AP Photo) INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Family members of 1930s gangster John Dillinger have submitted a new application to exhume his body from an Indianapolis cemetery.The Indiana State Department of Health said it received the latest application Tuesday.Dillinger’s family first applied to exhume his remains in July as part of a planned History Channel documentary. The deadline to exhume and return the remains was Sept. 16, and the exhumation did not occur.The History Channel last week dropped out of a planned documentary on Dillinger that would have included the exhumation. Family members said they have evidence Dillinger’s body may not be buried in Crown Hill Cemetery.Cemetery officials object to the exhumation, saying it would be disruptive. Dillinger’s nephew, Michael C. Thompson, sued the cemetery last month, seeking a court order to gain access to the grave. A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 1. WhatsApp Pinterest Twitter Previous articleIndiana’s unemployment rate declines to 3.3% in AugustNext articleNew human case of mosquito-borne EEE in southwest Michigan Associated PressNews from the Associated Press and its network of reporters and publications. Dillinger family members apply again to exhume his body IndianaNews
NCUA is looking at how it can publish more of the details related to its operating budget, agency Chairman Debbie Matz told NAFCU President and CEO Dan Berger in a response to his request that there be no 2015 budget increase and for budget transparency.While noting the budget won’t be set until the board acts, Matz reiterated her commitment to transparency. “I have instructed our Chief Financial Officer to look into your specific requests,” Matz wrote. “Wherever appropriate or feasible, our Chief Financial Officer will prepare disaggregated information to address your letter’s requests. We intend to make additional information available to you and the public on our website sometime shortly following the November board meeting.”“NAFCU thanks Chairman Matz for hearing our concerns and for her pledge to ensure transparency in NCUA budgeting,” said Berger. “Credit unions work hard for every dollar they earn on the products and services they provide their members on a cooperative basis, and they shepherd these dollars carefully to ensure members get the most value. We look forward to seeing additional details on NCUA’s budget and will carefully review those with credit unions’ interests in mind.”Berger, Matz and senior staff from NAFCU and NCUA have been in ongoing, lengthy conversations in which NAFCU has emphasized the need for more transparency in how NCUA uses the dollars it receives from credit unions to fund agency operations, and on all the funded programs the agency manages. Berger also continues to urge NCUA to resume public hearings in advance of the board’s budget actions, something that was done yearly until about three years ago. continue reading » 4SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
An enthic Nande militia in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on Sunday killed at least 13 Hutu civilians with guns and machetes in an apparent revenge attack for the deaths of Nande civilians last week. Local activists say.Dozens of people have already been killed this year in tit-for-tat massacres by Hutu and Nande militia in eastern DR Congo’s North Kivu province.Relations between the communities have worsened due to population movements and operations by the Congolese army against the largest Hutu militia in the area.Militia violence across the country has spiked in the last week, raising fears that political instability over President Joseph Kabila’s tenure could stoke a surge in localized conflicts by creating a local security vacuum.At least 40 people died last week in protests against President Joseph Kabila’s refusal to step down at the end of his constitutional mandate last Tuesday. The government says he will remain in office until an election can be organised in 2018.
Days after returning to his office because he has been fighting cancer, University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones learned the state College Board decided against renewing his contract.“I’m very sad,” Jones told The Clarion-Ledger. “I don’t like the decision they made. I’ve enjoyed the six years I’ve had to serve as chancellor.”Jones’ contract concludes Sept. 14, and Commissioner of Higher Education Jim Borsig said the board has voted to direct him “to begin appropriate preparations to conduct a search process for the next Chancellor of the University of Mississippi in accordance with the board’s policy.”Jones has had disagreements with the board a few years. “I wanted to serve another four years,” he said. “I am not retiring.”The board wanted to appoint the vice chancellor at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, rather than letting Jones appoint that person. “The policy in the statute calls for the chancellor to make the selection and the board to affirm,” he said.He said another point of contention was he felt the University of Mississippi deserved more money from the Institutions of Higher Learning because of its increased numbers of students while some universities were declining, he said.There is no reason to mourn his departure, he said. “Our university is in a great position because of great growth in enrollment, a great increase number of applications and the quality of the freshmen students is improving.”In recent years, alumni and donors have given more than $100 million a year to the university, he said.People shouldn’t worry about him, he said. “This is not nearly as bad as battling cancer.”He has tried to encourage students and faculty to get involved in service, he said. “If people associate my name with service, it would make me very happy.”Some faculty and alumni, including Jim Barksdale, Ole Miss’ biggest donor, expressed anger.“In my opinion, they’ve made an unforgivable decision,” said Barksdale, who has contributed $30 million to Ole Miss over the past 15 years. “The school has never done better.”Charles Overby, CEO of the Overby Center at Ole Miss, echoed those remarks. “It’s outrageous that Dan Jones would get sacked,” he said. “His leadership, coming on the heels of Robert Khayat’s leadership, has propelled Ole Miss to heights it has never seen before.”Doug Sullivan-Gonzalez, dean of the Sally McDonnell-Barksdale Honors College, said with record enrollment and giving to Ole Miss supporting Jones’ reappointment, “I hope Gov. Phil Bryant asks the IHL to reconsider.”Bryant said in a statement that Jones “served Ole Miss honorably as both chancellor of the university and as vice chancellor of health affairs for the University of Mississippi Medical Center. I wish him the best in his future personal and professional endeavors.” Bryant spokeswoman Nicole Webb said in a subsequent phone interview any notion that Bryant orchestrated the process was “ridiculous. The governor only has four appointees on the College Board, so that makes it impossible mathematically. We don’t even know how those appointees voted.”A tally of the vote was unavailable Friday night. IHL spokeswoman Caron Blanton did not return multiple messages left on her cell phone.Barksdale said the board brought two charges against Jones — that UMMC was not well run and that he was “not respectful for the IHL process, which means he spoke his heart.”The former CEO of Netscape said he has been running organizations for years. “You don’t want a bunch of lambs following a shepherd all the time,” he said.Barksdale said UMMC is “in the best financial situation in years. They just signed a huge deal with the Mayo Clinic. The IHL has made a decision they will come to regret. … They got mad at Dan and came up with reasons to get rid of him.”The board’s decision has influenced his thinking about giving to Ole Miss, he said.The board ordered an audit of UMMC, which “came back with a clean bill of health,” he said.Dissatisfied, the board ordered a second audit, which also came back clean before ordering a third, he said. “How many times do you need to audit?”The board renewed the contracts of other university chancellors.Social media reaction to firing of Dan JonesStatement from Ole Miss chancellorStatement from Ole Miss Chancellor Dan JonesJones, who has been chancellor for six years, was diagnosed with lymphoma last November.He was treated at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, where he was vice chancellor.He finished his chemotherapy weeks ago and is reported to have returned to his Oxford office five days ago.Jones was Ole Miss’ 16th chancellor, succeeding Robert Khayat in 2009. Before that, Jones served as the dean at University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.Khayat, who guided Ole Miss for 14 years, left a legacy that consensus said would be hard for whoever succeeded him to navigate. Jones brushed aside that notion in his first public remarks after being unanimously approved by the College Board in June 2009.“I’m no Robert Khayat,” Jones told The Clarion-Ledger then. “I’m not going to try to be Robert Khayat. (Khayat)’s got this great charm that I don’t have. His vision has been so strong and he’s been so good at articulating that vision, but the university itself is all that we’ve come to believe that it is. It’s not all just Robert Khayat.”Jones would be tested early. In the middle of the 2009 football season, he ordered Ole Miss’ band to cut short a transitional part of “From Dixie with Love,” an anthem it played every pregame, because the student section in Vaught-Hemingway would erupt with “The South will rise again” each time it was played.The decision had the support of Ole Miss’ student government leadership. It had its share of opponents, too, the tip of the spear being an organization calling itself the Colonel Reb Foundation. Brian Ferguson, the director, told the Associated Press in 2009 that the song’s modification was a “big to-do about nothing. There were very few people other than the students who knew to say it.”Jones defended the decision, saying in 2009 that the chant was not a school tradition, thus not worthy of preservation. “… It is inconsistent with the university’s values and what Ole Miss stands for — a great public university with a focus on the future.”A similar situation unfolded right before last football season started. Jones and other university officials announced in August that the use of “Ole Miss” on official school paraphernalia and memorabilia would be phased out, except when it referenced the university’s athletic teams. The initiative also created the vice chancellor for diversity position, with one of the job descriptions being to create a set of standards for diversity and engagement within the university.Athletic director Ross Bjork, hired three years ago, said Jones was the “best situational leader I’ve ever encountered in higher ed.“The best kind of leaders adapt to the situation. To me there’s no one style. Sometimes you have to have tough love, sometimes you have to take a softer approach. He was the perfect blend of that. I thought he was a guy who understood the importance of athletics while keeping it in perspective. I liked the vibe. We were aggressive in the right areas, we were sensitive in the right areas. Obviously, for somebody who brought our family here, we really just think it’s a sad day for Ole Miss and for us personally. We love Dan Jones. We love his leadership.”Contact Jerry Mitchell at (601) 961-7064 or [email protected] Follow @jmitchellnews on Twitter. Contact Clay Chandler at (601) 961-7264 or [email protected] Follow @claychand on Twitter.
… Forde wraps up successful trip to Brazil THE Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Elite League will benefit from significant capacity-building partnerships as a direct result of a three-day visit by president Wayne Forde to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (July 6-8), where he met with the respective presidents of Vasco da Gama and Botafogo FR football clubs.This initiative will see the introduction of an elite referees programme, a player exchange programme, and the recruitment of a Coach Instructor to build capacity among the elite coaches and coaches across the country.“Over the couple of weeks, we will be formalising some relationships that will see an elite referees programme being introduced which is a key programme I’d like to commence,” Forde said following his trip. The programme will see referees’ courses for males and females, exchange programmes, and local match officials’ exposure to professional football in Brazil.According to the GFF boss, the ‘Federation’ will also be looking at “bringing players at the developmental/transitional level in some of the professional clubs and maybe some of the lower divisions to play within the Elite League and taking some of our U-20 players to the Brazilian clubs.”“I’m trying to get as many as 30 U-20 players into Brazil. The goal is to get around 30 U-20 Guyanese players playing in Brazil first and foremost, and secondly bringing good Brazilian talent and professionalism into the training and playing set up of the Elite League,” Forde noted.Additionally, Forde said coach education and development is a key pillar of the GFF, which will also be prioritised, since the GFF will be hiring a Brazilian Coaching Education Instructor to work with the coaches within the Elite League, in particular, and other coaches around the country.Apart from these concrete measures, Forde also discussed other developmental opportunities with the presidents of the two leading football clubs in Brazil.